Mark 11:11-12, Premeditated Temple Attack Or Not?
And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things, and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve. And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany … Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple …
//Mark tells how when Jesus came to Jerusalem, he entered the temple, looked around, and went away for the night. Then he came back and staged his symbolic “attack” on the temple. The same story in Matthew drops the premeditation, and leads one to believe Jesus was incensed when he saw the temple and immediately cast out the money changers et. al.
Mark’s order of events:
 He attacks the temple
Matthew’s order of events (See Matthew chapter 11):
Why did Matthew rewrite the order? Is indignant anger better than premeditated attack? What do you think really happened?
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Morality is the Problem
- Book review: The Illusion of “Truth”: The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
- Book review: The IVP Bible Background Commentary
- Book review: Naming the Antichrist: The History of an American Obsession
- Book Review: The Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son
- Book review: The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality
- Book review: Augustine for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Thought in the Absence of Certainty
- Book review: Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World’s Greatest Physicists
- Book review: He Who Has an Ear
- Book review: Powers of Darkness
- Book review: The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
- Book review: 25 of the Greatest Sermons Ever Preached
- Book review: Handbook of Blblical Criticism
- Book review: Unfettered Spirit: Spiritual Gifts for the New Great Awakening
- Book review: The Brother of Jesus
- Book review: Seismic Shift: From God to Goodness
- Book review: Is Reality Secular
- Book review: The Gospel According to Femigod
- Book review: All You Want To Know About Hell
- Book review: Coffee with Jesus
- Book review: The Making of the Lamb
- Book review: Philosophy for Believers
- Book review: The Certainty of the Unexpected
- Book review: The Question of Canon
- Book review: The Dave Test
- Book review: Worshiping with Charles Darwin
- Book review: Christian History Made Easy
- Book review: Creation Strikes Back
- Book review: Messiah: Origin
- Genesis 17:25, How Old was Ishmael when Abraham Sent Him Away? Part II of II
- Genesis 21:14, How Old was Ishmael when Abraham Sent Him Away? Part I of II
- Numbers 6:2, Was Jesus a Nazirite?
- 1 John 4:2, Knowing Whether Instruction is from God
- Luke 14:23, Converting the Donatists
- Psalm 23:4, Thy Rod and Staff
- Romans 8:38-39 Neither Height Nor Depth Shall Separate Us!
- Revelation 3:16, The Lukewarm Church
- Genesis 49:22, Joseph, the Wild Donkey
- Mark 3:27, Binding the Strong Man
- Psalm 96:5, Idols or Demons?
- Revelation 12:1,4 Zodiac and the Bible
- Acts 28:11, Castor and Pollux
- Genesis 4:20, Cain Learns His Lesson
- Acts 8:9, Magic in the Bible
- Amos 9:11-12, Why We Needn’t Circumcise, part II of II
- Acts 15:16-17, Why We Needn’t Circumcise, part I of II
- Proverbs 15:17, A Valentines Day Observation
- Genesis 24:64, The Camel That Wasn’t
- 1 Corinthians 16:22, Anathema Maranatha — Come, Lord!
- Matthew 27:59-60, Boy, Was Jesus Lucky!
- Daniel 12:2, Everlasting Contempt
- Galatians 1:4, What Are We Saved From?
- Genesis 2:21-22, Adam, Eve, and Panentheism
- Matthew 1:18, More on the Perpetual Virginity of Mary
- Luke 2:21-22, Was Jesus Miraculously Born?
- Revelation 20:14, The End of Death and Hades
- Romans 5:18, Adam and Christ
- 1 Timothy 6:16, The Immortal Soul
- John 5:19, The Nature of God
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Book Write-Up: Common Sense, by Noah Lemos: Noah Lemos. Common Sense: A Contemporary Defense. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,...
- Maphead's Book Blog
The Expats: A Novel by Chris Pavone: Doing the European Reading Challenge has been a lot of fun. What’s nice about the “one c...
- The Bible and Culture
C.K. Barrett— A Helpful Blog Post: The following is a blog post of Jonathan Watson of the Logos company, reprinted her with permission.
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
The 5-Minute-a-Day Bible Reading Plan vs. My Dad’s Bible: Some time ago I was invited to answer questions from a group of wonderful young people. They were in...
Casey’s Instruments of Demonization: Having seen the ratio of ex-fundamentalists to mythicists with liberal church backgrounds it is amus...