1 Samuel 6:19, Don’t look in there!
Then He struck the men of Beth Shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD. He struck fifty thousand and seventy men of the people, and the people lamented because the LORD had struck the people with a great slaughter.
//There’s some confusion in translating this verse; most ancient Hebrew texts read 70 men, not 5,070. Some say the correct reading is 70 men and 50 oxen.
But what’s the big deal? They peeked in the ark, and God struck them down. Shades of the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark (which does, indeed, draw themes from today’s verse).
Here’s the deal. The Law, capital L, resided within the ark. The tablets of the covenant, which Moses brought down the mountain from God, were frightening and often meant death. But sitting atop the ark was God’s “mercy seat,” and from there, from between two cherubim, God spoke to Moses (see Numbers 7:89). The Mercy Seat served as a covering for the ark, a reconciliation.
So, for the people to peek in the ark, they had to first remove its covering of mercy, exposing the Law’s undiluted, frightful power. Pow!
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- The Miracle Free Gospel
- Book review: Announcing the Scientific Discovery of God
- Book review: Walking in the Moment between Tick and Tock–From Passover to Pentecost
- Book review: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Big Picture: An Honest Examination of God, Science, and Purpose
- Book review: The Adam Quest
- Book review: Process Theology: Embracing Adventure with God
- Book review: How Do We Know? An Introduction to Epistemology
- Book review: Holistic Spirituality: Life Transforming Wisdom from the Letter of James
- Book review: Morality is the Problem
- Book review: The Illusion of “Truth”: The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
- Book review: The IVP Bible Background Commentary
- Book review: Naming the Antichrist: The History of an American Obsession
- Deuteronomy 25:19, Don’t Forget To Forget!
- Genesis 38:28, Zarah Wins by a Hand … but Loses!
- Acts 16:31, The Missing Words In Our Creeds
- Matthew 2:11, The Nazarene from Bethlehem
- Proverbs 14:31, Respect the Poor
- Galatians 2:2, Pauline and Petrine Christianity
- Micah 4:4, A New Economic Order
- Isaiah 55:3, The Hills Are Alive
- Matthew 9:11, The Closed Communion
- Acts 2:1-4, The Day Christianity Began
- Hosea 6:6, Jesus and Animal Sacrifice
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VIII of VIII
- Mark 9:42, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VII of VIII
- Matthew 8:5-7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VI of VIII
- 1 Corinthians 7:25, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part V of VIII
- Romans 2:1, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part IV of VIII
- Romans 1:25-27,Homosexuality and the Bible, Part III of VIII
- Jude 1:7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part II of VIII
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part I of VIII
- Matthew 4:15, Where was the book of Matthew written?
- Romans 1:18, The “Intelligent Design” Verse
- Matthew 10:30, Jesus Came To Bring Division?
- Acts 10:36, The Peace of Jesus Christ
- Acts 15:29, Eating Meat Sacrificed to Idols
- Revelation 20:4, The Difference Between Pre- and Postmillennialism
- Mark 7:18-19, Are All Foods Clean?
- Mark 10:19, The Eleventh Commandment
- Acts 12:21-23, How Did Herod Agrippa Die
- Romans 9:1, Paul the Liar?
- Luke 21: The Christian Escape to Pella
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
"Let It Go"----For Ten Hours: I’ve not seen the Disney movie Frozen yet. I plan to eventually, since the Snow Queen Elsa f...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement: As we pass the mid-year mark, I can honestly say holy cow, I’ve read some great fiction. Somet...
- The Bible and Culture
The Pilgrimage: Turkey, Part Eight: The god Asklepius was in many ways one of the most important of all Greco-Roman deities, and this wa...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Patently False Church Sign: I was stopped at a light and saw this church sign. Yep! I did! I grabbed my cell phone and took a pi...
Jewish Foundations of Christianity — Significance of God’s Name: There is something unusual about the way the name of God is treated in the Old Testament books. The...