1 Samuel 6:19, Don’t look in there!
Then He struck the men of Beth Shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD. He struck fifty thousand and seventy men of the people, and the people lamented because the LORD had struck the people with a great slaughter.
//There’s some confusion in translating this verse; most ancient Hebrew texts read 70 men, not 5,070. Some say the correct reading is 70 men and 50 oxen.
But what’s the big deal? They peeked in the ark, and God struck them down. Shades of the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark (which does, indeed, draw themes from today’s verse).
Here’s the deal. The Law, capital L, resided within the ark. The tablets of the covenant, which Moses brought down the mountain from God, were frightening and often meant death. But sitting atop the ark was God’s “mercy seat,” and from there, from between two cherubim, God spoke to Moses (see Numbers 7:89). The Mercy Seat served as a covering for the ark, a reconciliation.
So, for the people to peek in the ark, they had to first remove its covering of mercy, exposing the Law’s undiluted, frightful power. Pow!
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Deuteronomy 18:21, How To Know When God Is Speaking
- Exodus 20:4-5, One Calf Or Two? Part II of II
- Exodus 32:4, One Calf Or Two? Part I of II
- Matthew 25:33, What’s Wrong With Goats?
- Genesis 6:14, What Is An Ark?
- Genesis 29:26, Jacob Gets His Just Desserts
- Matthew 28:19-20, The REAL Great Commission
- Matthew 5:13, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part II of II
- Matthew 25:33, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part I of II
- Luke 17:34-35, The Fate of the Raptured
- Genesis 9:4, God Allows Eating Meat, Part II of II
- Genesis 1:29, God Allows Eating Meat, Part I of II
- Genesis 25:25, The Red and Hairy Edomites
- Genesis 2:7, Rain Brings Forth Life, Part II of II
- Genesis 2:5-6, Rain Brings Forth Life, Part I of II
- Revelation 20:4, The Thousand Year Reign
- Mark 9:24, Pascal’s Wager
- Judges 21:20-21, The Tribe of Benjamin Is Rescued!
- Job 1:4-5 Why Job Ignored His Friends
- Genesis 19:32-33, The Daughters’ Revenge, Part II of II
- Genesis 19:8, The Daughters’ Revenge, Part I of II
- Hebrews 4:12, Killing with the Word
- Luke 2:38, The Promised Redeemer of Israel
- Exodus 12:8-9, How To Eat The Passover Lamb
- Mark 10:37, Sitting on Jesus’ Left and Right
- Exodus 20:24-25, Where To Offer Sacrifice
- John 21:11 Why 153 Fish?
- John :42-44, The Earliest Christian Church, part IV of IV
- John 8:28, The Earliest Christian Church, Part III of IV
- Galatian 2:9, The Earliest Christian Church, Part II of IV
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Christian Reproof: Sirach 32:17 states: “The sinner will shun reproof, and will find a decision according to his liki...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Pan-European Lives: The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst: This morning I’m at local Starbucks trying to crank out a long overdue post. After suffering t...
- The Bible and Culture
Polling Questions I Wish I’d been Asked!: Joel Pett is our local pundit cum political cartoonist in the Lexington newspaper……...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Conversation on Social Justice: Tonight I’ll be hosting two Energion authors with strongly opposed viewpoints on the question:...
A Simonian Origin for Christianity, Part 14: Simon/Paul and the Law of Moses (continued): For all posts in this series: Roger Parvus: A Simonian Origin for Christianity Previous post in thi...