John 6:21, Did Jesus Walk On Water?
Then they were willing to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the shore where they were heading.
//Did Jesus really walk on water? One of the four gospels, the one claiming eye-witness testimony, is ambiguous on the topic. Today’s verse can be read one of two ways: Either they took him into the boat, and immediately found themselves at land, or as they began to receive Jesus into the boat, they hit land.
Context helps, so let’s back up two verses to this one:
When they had rowed three or three and a half miles, they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water; and they were terrified. –John 6:19
Sounds clear, doesn’t it? The problem is, the Greek word used for “on the water” is precisely the same word used in verse 21:1, where it is more precisely translated “by the sea”:
Afterward Jesus appeared again to his disciples, by the Sea of Tiberias. –John 21:1
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- The Miracle Free Gospel
- Book review: Announcing the Scientific Discovery of God
- Book review: Walking in the Moment between Tick and Tock–From Passover to Pentecost
- Book review: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth
- Exodus 12:8-9, How To Eat The Passover Lamb
- Mark 10:37, Sitting on Jesus’ Left and Right
- Exodus 20:24-25, Where To Offer Sacrifice
- John 21:11 Why 153 Fish?
- John :42-44, The Earliest Christian Church, part IV of IV
- John 8:28, The Earliest Christian Church, Part III of IV
- Galatian 2:9, The Earliest Christian Church, Part II of IV
- Acts 4:32-35: The Earliest Christian Church, Part I of IV
- Mark 6:22-24, Who Wanted John the Baptist Dead?
- Matthew 22:7, The King’s Wedding
- Matthew 9:7, New Wine in Old Bottles
- Mark 10:18, Why do you call me good?
- Exodus 20:26, Beware the Stairs!
- Exodus 32:14, God Repents
- Proverbs 10:15, Wealth is our Fortress
- 2 Samuel 7:16, David’s Throne becomes God’s Throne
- Genesis 9:25, Canaan’s Destiny
- John 20:29, Blessed are the Blind Believers
- Psalm 82:6-7, The Gods Will Die Like Mortals
- Acts 16:17, Libertarian Slaves?
- Deuteronomy 15:4, The Poor Will Be Always With You
- Psalms 121:6, Moonstroke?
- Luke 23:28, Weep For Your Children
- Matthew 15:22, The Canaanite Woman
- John 8:6, Jesus Writes on the Ground
- Leviticus 15:16, Baptism By Immersion Or Sprinkling?
- Genesis 3:15, The Seed of a Woman
- Acts 1:12, A Sabbath Day’s Walk
- John 3:6, Born of the Female Holy Spirit
- 1 Chronicles 22:14, Solomon’s Temple Walls
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
My Search for a News Home: I have been watching ABC News each weeknight for the past five or so years. I have settled on...
- Maphead's Book Blog
A Manual for Creating Atheists by Peter Boghossian: I’ve never read a book by an author who works across the street from where I work. Peter Bogho...
- The Bible and Culture
Wright’s Paul and the Faithfulness of God– Part Eighty: The remainder of Chapter Twelve (pp. 1300-1319) is in the main devoted to a rebuttal to John Barclay...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Ten Years Ago: John and James – My favorite picture that I keep on my desk. September 22 is a difficult day f...
Doubting an Oral Tradition behind the Gospels: The Parables: All posts in this series are archived at Henaut: Oral Tradition and the Gospels (This post extends w...