1 Kings 22:21-22, A Lying Spirit, part I of II
And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
//Just in case your Old English isn’t too good, here’s what’s happening in today’s verse: God needs a plan to kill King Ahab, and comes up with the idea of luring Ahab into a battle he can’t win. But how to convince Ahab? The “host of heaven” around God’s throne suggest one idea after another, until finally a “lying spirit” shows up and offers to be of service. So God sends the lying spirit forth to fool all of Ahab’s advisers—four hundred of them. It works, Ahab is convinced to fight, and he dies.
Great story! But I’d venture a guess that there’s more to the tale. Call me a skeptic, but I’m a little unconvinced about any “host of heaven” debating strategy, or any lying spirits, or why God wouldn’t be able to figure out his own battle plan in the first place. So, tomorrow, I’ll let you in on how I think the whole thing really went down.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Flipped
- Book review: Resurrection City
- Book review: The Good Shepherd
- Book review: Blood Doctrine
- Book review: The Pursuit of God
- Book review: God Needs Salvation
- Book review: The Divine Magician
- Book review: Short Stories By Jesus
- Book review: Napkin Notes
- Book review: Questioning Your Doubts
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Mark 12:41-44, The Widow’s Farthing
- Genesis 22:11-12, Did God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac? Part III of III
- Genesis 11:31, Did God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac? Part II of III
- Genesis 22:2, Did God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac? Part I of III
- Book Excerpt: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Acts 10:28, Quoting Ancient Poets
- Mark 5:5, Legion and the Roman Armies
- Luke 16:31, The Warning From Hell
- Matthew 26:50, The Friend of Jesus
- Matthew 21:13, The Den of Robbers
- Matthew 20:1-2 Jesus on Welfare
- Matthew 4:3, Why Rock n Roll is Wrong
- Psalm 23 Comparing the Shepherd’s Psalm to Mark Chapter 6
- Psalm 23:1-2, The Two Banquets, Part II of II
- Mark 6:21: The Two Banquets, Part I of II
- Zechariah 9:9, Jesus Chooses Peace
- Luke 10:33, The Priest, the Levite, and…
- Matthew 21:19, God Hates Figs
- Psalm 23:4, The Valley of Death
- Luke 10:26, Loving Both Neighbor and Enemy
- Luke 15:28, Who is the Lost Son?
- Leviticus 19:33-34, Resident Aliens
- Luke 10:28, How To Live
- Book review: Finding God In Suffering: A Journey With Job
- Luke 15:22, Another Side of the Prodigal Son
- Luke 15:18, The Non-Repentant Prodigal
- Matthew 8:10, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part II of II
- John 11:47, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part I of II
- Luke 2: 13-14 Angels We Have Heard On High
- Luke 5:5-7, The Fate of the Lost Sheep
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Book Write-Up: God's Battle Plan for the Mind (Puritan Meditation): David W. Saxton. God’s Battle Plan for the Mind: The Puritan Practice of Biblical Meditation...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Turkish Delights: The Sultan’s Seal by Jenny White: A few years ago I mentioned on my blog that I’ve had a long time interest in the Ottoman Empir...
- The Bible and Culture
Forward Thinking on ‘Reading Backwards’– The Interview Part 3: 6) At one level you are arguing that if we pay attention to the broader OT contexts of the OT texts...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Reminder: Interview with Bruce Epperly on Healing, Panentheism, Process Theology, Truth, and …: I’ll be interviewing Dr. Bruce Epperly on these subjects tonight in a Google Hangout on Air. I...
On to Salon.com — Is this going viral?: First, Alternet, and now it’s on Salon.com...