1 Kings 22:21-22, A Lying Spirit, part I of II
And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
//Just in case your Old English isn’t too good, here’s what’s happening in today’s verse: God needs a plan to kill King Ahab, and comes up with the idea of luring Ahab into a battle he can’t win. But how to convince Ahab? The “host of heaven” around God’s throne suggest one idea after another, until finally a “lying spirit” shows up and offers to be of service. So God sends the lying spirit forth to fool all of Ahab’s advisers—four hundred of them. It works, Ahab is convinced to fight, and he dies.
Great story! But I’d venture a guess that there’s more to the tale. Call me a skeptic, but I’m a little unconvinced about any “host of heaven” debating strategy, or any lying spirits, or why God wouldn’t be able to figure out his own battle plan in the first place. So, tomorrow, I’ll let you in on how I think the whole thing really went down.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: The Illusion of “Truth”: The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
- Book review: The IVP Bible Background Commentary
- Book review: Naming the Antichrist: The History of an American Obsession
- Book Review: The Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son
- Book review: The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality
- Book review: Augustine for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Thought in the Absence of Certainty
- Book review: Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World’s Greatest Physicists
- Book review: He Who Has an Ear
- Book review: Powers of Darkness
- Book review: The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
- Book review: 25 of the Greatest Sermons Ever Preached
- Book review: Handbook of Blblical Criticism
- Book review: Unfettered Spirit: Spiritual Gifts for the New Great Awakening
- Book review: The Brother of Jesus
- Book review: Seismic Shift: From God to Goodness
- Book review: Is Reality Secular
- Book review: The Gospel According to Femigod
- Book review: All You Want To Know About Hell
- Book review: Coffee with Jesus
- Book review: The Making of the Lamb
- Book review: Philosophy for Believers
- Book review: The Certainty of the Unexpected
- Book review: The Question of Canon
- Book review: The Dave Test
- Book review: Worshiping with Charles Darwin
- Book review: Christian History Made Easy
- Book review: Creation Strikes Back
- Book review: Messiah: Origin
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Numbers 6:2, Was Jesus a Nazirite?
- 1 John 4:2, Knowing Whether Instruction is from God
- Luke 14:23, Converting the Donatists
- Psalm 23:4, Thy Rod and Staff
- Romans 8:38-39 Neither Height Nor Depth Shall Separate Us!
- Revelation 3:16, The Lukewarm Church
- Genesis 49:22, Joseph, the Wild Donkey
- Mark 3:27, Binding the Strong Man
- Psalm 96:5, Idols or Demons?
- Revelation 12:1,4 Zodiac and the Bible
- Acts 28:11, Castor and Pollux
- Genesis 4:20, Cain Learns His Lesson
- Acts 8:9, Magic in the Bible
- Amos 9:11-12, Why We Needn’t Circumcise, part II of II
- Acts 15:16-17, Why We Needn’t Circumcise, part I of II
- Proverbs 15:17, A Valentines Day Observation
- Genesis 24:64, The Camel That Wasn’t
- 1 Corinthians 16:22, Anathema Maranatha — Come, Lord!
- Matthew 27:59-60, Boy, Was Jesus Lucky!
- Daniel 12:2, Everlasting Contempt
- Galatians 1:4, What Are We Saved From?
- Genesis 2:21-22, Adam, Eve, and Panentheism
- Matthew 1:18, More on the Perpetual Virginity of Mary
- Luke 2:21-22, Was Jesus Miraculously Born?
- Revelation 20:14, The End of Death and Hades
- Romans 5:18, Adam and Christ
- 1 Timothy 6:16, The Immortal Soul
- John 5:19, The Nature of God
- Romans 9:13, Is God Love?
- 1 Corinthians 3:8, Works vs Faith, according to Paul
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Believing in a Personal Devil: At church this morning, the pastor opened his sermon with an anecdote. A seminary student was...
- Maphead's Book Blog
The Expats: A Novel by Chris Pavone: Doing the European Reading Challenge has been a lot of fun. What’s nice about the “one c...
- The Bible and Culture
Wright’s Paul and the Faithfulness of God– Part Twenty: The discussion between p. 500 and the end of the chapter at p. 537 present us with some of the most...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
The 5-Minute-a-Day Bible Reading Plan vs. My Dad’s Bible: Some time ago I was invited to answer questions from a group of wonderful young people. They were in...
Vridar Subscriptions and Email Notifications: Hi, everybody. Recently we had some trouble with the WordPress JetPack plugin and outgoing emails. I...