1 Kings 22:21-22, A Lying Spirit, part I of II
And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
//Just in case your Old English isn’t too good, here’s what’s happening in today’s verse: God needs a plan to kill King Ahab, and comes up with the idea of luring Ahab into a battle he can’t win. But how to convince Ahab? The “host of heaven” around God’s throne suggest one idea after another, until finally a “lying spirit” shows up and offers to be of service. So God sends the lying spirit forth to fool all of Ahab’s advisers—four hundred of them. It works, Ahab is convinced to fight, and he dies.
Great story! But I’d venture a guess that there’s more to the tale. Call me a skeptic, but I’m a little unconvinced about any “host of heaven” debating strategy, or any lying spirits, or why God wouldn’t be able to figure out his own battle plan in the first place. So, tomorrow, I’ll let you in on how I think the whole thing really went down.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Blood Doctrine
- Book review: The Pursuit of God
- Book review: God Needs Salvation
- Book review: The Divine Magician
- Book review: Short Stories By Jesus
- Book review: Napkin Notes
- Book review: Questioning Your Doubts
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Psalm 23:4, The Valley of Death
- Luke 10:26, Loving Both Neighbor and Enemy
- Luke 15:28, Who is the Lost Son?
- Leviticus 19:33-34, Resident Aliens
- Luke 10:28, How To Live
- Book review: Finding God In Suffering: A Journey With Job
- Luke 15:22, Another Side of the Prodigal Son
- Luke 15:18, The Non-Repentant Prodigal
- Matthew 8:10, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part II of II
- John 11:47, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part I of II
- Luke 2: 13-14 Angels We Have Heard On High
- Luke 5:5-7, The Fate of the Lost Sheep
- Luke 15:21-24 Who is the Prodigal Son?
- Matthew 13:45-46, The Dark Side of the Pearl
- Mark 14:62, The Son of Man
- Luke 24:44, What is the Tanakh?
- Genesis 9:25-27, The Curse of Ham
- Matthew 12:22-24, The Battle With Satan
- Matthew chapters 13, 20 and 22: Parables of the Kingdom
- Matthew 23:33, The Authoritarian God
- Luke 6:20, The First to Enjoy the Kingdom
- Matthew 5:39, Matthew’s Unique Jesus
- Galatians 4:30, Cast aside the Law
- 1 Corinthians 12:27, The Body of Christ
- Matthew 24:34, The Liberal’s Bible
- Mark 1:1 The Messianic Secret
- Mark 3:32-33, The House Church
- Acts 14:14, Paul the Apostle
- Matthew 3:2, Was Jesus a Disciple of John the Baptist?
- John 13:4-5, The Suffering Servant
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Check, Check, Check: At church this morning, the pastor’s sermon was entitled “Check, Check, Check.” What’...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Expo 58: A Novel by Jonathan Coe: As I spend more time online, I’m starting to discover books that I might never have discovered...
- The Bible and Culture
‘En Taxei’— Quickly or Soon?: While many Christians know that the English word ‘taxi’ comes from the Greek word for ...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Follow-up on According to John: Making Himself Equal with God: There are a number of points I need to write about to follow up on my hangout from last Thursday nig...
The Memory Mavens, Part 5: Rituals and Remembrance (1): Earlier this month on The Jesus Blog, Anthony Le Donne, one of the main Memory Mavens let us know th...