1 Kings 22:21-22, A Lying Spirit, part I of II
And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
//Just in case your Old English isn’t too good, here’s what’s happening in today’s verse: God needs a plan to kill King Ahab, and comes up with the idea of luring Ahab into a battle he can’t win. But how to convince Ahab? The “host of heaven” around God’s throne suggest one idea after another, until finally a “lying spirit” shows up and offers to be of service. So God sends the lying spirit forth to fool all of Ahab’s advisers—four hundred of them. It works, Ahab is convinced to fight, and he dies.
Great story! But I’d venture a guess that there’s more to the tale. Call me a skeptic, but I’m a little unconvinced about any “host of heaven” debating strategy, or any lying spirits, or why God wouldn’t be able to figure out his own battle plan in the first place. So, tomorrow, I’ll let you in on how I think the whole thing really went down.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: The Question of Canon
- Book review: The Dave Test
- Book review: Worshiping with Charles Darwin
- Book review: Christian History Made Easy
- Book review: Creation Strikes Back
- Book review: Messiah: Origin
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Battles of the Bible
- Book review: The End of Apologetics
- Book review: Doubting Stephen
- Book review: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Mylo
- Book review: The Historical David: The Real Life of an Invented Hero
- Book review: Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Gatekeepers
- Book review: When the Kings Come Marching In
- Book review: I’m Only Human After All
- Book review: God In Slow Motion
- Book review: Consider the Birds
- Book review: Paul and Judaism Revisited
- Book review: Questioning Your Way to Faith
- Book review: Appletopia: Media Technology and the Religious Imagination of Steve Jobs
- Book review: Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods
- Book review: Invitation to the New Testament
- Book review: Cycles of Salvation History
- Book review: The Problem with Christ
- Book review: 31 Rays of Hope
- Book review: I don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
- Book review: Billy Graham in Quotes
- Book review: Rapture’s Rain
- Genesis 9:13, God Gives Us the Rainbow
- 1 Corinthians 10:21, Dining at the Table of Demons
- Hebrews 12:1-2, Laying Aside Every Weight
- James 1:1, James and the Q Sayings of Jesus
- John 9:32: Nobody Can Cure the Blind!
- John 3:5: Born out of Water and Spirit
- 2 Corinthians 13:10, The Severe Letter
- 1 Corinthians 14:11, The Barbarians
- Galations 5:11-12, I Wish the Knife Would Slip!
- Revelation 21:2, The Parousia, part III of III
- Psalm 24:7, The Parousia, part II of III
- 1 Thessalonians 4:17, The Parousia, part I of III
- 1 Corinthians 14:33-34, Women Must Be Quiet In Church!
- Luke 24:2, Why was the Stone Rolled Away?
- Genesis 2:7, Altruism and the Moral Law
- Luke 1:34-35, The Moment of Jesus’ Conception
- Mark 13:14, Pay Attention and Get Out Of Jerusalem!
- Isaiah 5:1, The Lord’s Vineyard
- Romans 16:21, Who Wrote the Gospel of Luke? Part II of II
- Romans 16:21, Who Wrote the Gospel of Luke? Part I of II
- Mark 9:7, The Three-Fold Revelation
- Acts 1:9, Where Did Jesus Go?
- John 1:1, Why Does John Think Jesus Is God?
- Luke 22:38, Two Swords: It Is Enough
- Luke 2:2, The Problem with Quirinius
- Luke 16:11, The Unrighteousness of Money
- 1 John 5:1, Jesus is the Christ
- Judges 6:13, Where are all the miracles?
- 2 Chronicles 24:20-21, Which Zechariah was murdered in the Temple? Part IV of IV
- Zechariah 1:1, Which Zechariah was murdered in the Temple? Part III of IV
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
No More Vietnams, by Richard Nixon: I finished Richard Nixon’s No More Vietnams. In this book, Nixon defends the Vietnam War as...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Biographies of faith: The Rabbi of 84th Street by Warren Kozak: In keeping with the spirit of my previous post, I’m happy to report that my public library has...
- The Bible and Culture
Christmas came early…. a Blessed time in Rome: It’s not everyday you get to: 1) play Julius Caesar at the Colisseum; 2) meet the Pope; 3) giv...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Psalm 122: On Praying for Both Israelis and Palestinians: Bruce Epperly, in his comments on the scriptures for the first Sunday in Advent at Process & Fa...
“With All Fear”: Christianity and Slavery (Part 4): Christianity and slavery: why does it matter? As I made clear early on in this series, I contend tha...