Book review: Sex God
by Rob Bell
Relax, folks, this is not a call to worship Yahweh like some kind of fertility idol. It’s just another of Bell’s weird book titles.
I’m a Bell fan, but I confess this wasn’t one of my favorites. If we’re gonna talk about this stuff, well, there are lots of interesting passages in the Bible about sex, sexuality, and the sexes. But Bell ignores all the interesting discussion, and zeroes in on two basic themes:
1. Sex is a reality of life. We’re not animals and we’re not angels. (I’d argue that we’re both, but I’ll save that for another time). The Bible says we’re higher than the animals, and we’re higher than the angels! Sex should not degenerate into animalistic urges, but neither should we pretend we’re sexless beings like angels. It’s a special, if confusing, gift.
2. But don’t do it until you’re ready for marriage. In the Bible, sex was the final, binding act of a marriage. It is not the ceremony that joins two people together forever, it is the carnal act, and this is God’s way.
Bell plays more of the role of a pastor than a teacher in this book, so I found it less interesting than his other works. But maybe it’s just what you’re looking for.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- The Miracle Free Gospel
- Book review: Announcing the Scientific Discovery of God
- Book review: Walking in the Moment between Tick and Tock–From Passover to Pentecost
- Book review: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Big Picture: An Honest Examination of God, Science, and Purpose
- Book review: The Adam Quest
- Book review: Process Theology: Embracing Adventure with God
- Book review: How Do We Know? An Introduction to Epistemology
- Book review: Holistic Spirituality: Life Transforming Wisdom from the Letter of James
- Book review: Morality is the Problem
- Book review: The Illusion of “Truth”: The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
- Book review: The IVP Bible Background Commentary
- 1 Chronicles 22:14, Solomon’s Temple Walls
- Judges 20:16, The Left-Handed Advantage
- Deuteronomy 25:9, Your Brotherly Duty
- Leviticus 11:20, An Easy Law To Keep
- Deuteronomy 25:19, Don’t Forget To Forget!
- Genesis 38:28, Zarah Wins by a Hand … but Loses!
- Acts 16:31, The Missing Words In Our Creeds
- Matthew 2:11, The Nazarene from Bethlehem
- Proverbs 14:31, Respect the Poor
- Galatians 2:2, Pauline and Petrine Christianity
- Micah 4:4, A New Economic Order
- Isaiah 55:3, The Hills Are Alive
- Matthew 9:11, The Closed Communion
- Acts 2:1-4, The Day Christianity Began
- Hosea 6:6, Jesus and Animal Sacrifice
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VIII of VIII
- Mark 9:42, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VII of VIII
- Matthew 8:5-7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VI of VIII
- 1 Corinthians 7:25, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part V of VIII
- Romans 2:1, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part IV of VIII
- Romans 1:25-27,Homosexuality and the Bible, Part III of VIII
- Jude 1:7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part II of VIII
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part I of VIII
- Matthew 4:15, Where was the book of Matthew written?
- Romans 1:18, The “Intelligent Design” Verse
- Matthew 10:30, Jesus Came To Bring Division?
- Acts 10:36, The Peace of Jesus Christ
- Acts 15:29, Eating Meat Sacrificed to Idols
- Revelation 20:4, The Difference Between Pre- and Postmillennialism
- Mark 7:18-19, Are All Foods Clean?
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Book Write-Up: How to Pick Up a Stripper, and Other Acts of Kindness: Todd and Erin Stevens. How to Pick Up a Stripper, and Other Acts of Kindness: Serving People J...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement: As we pass the mid-year mark, I can honestly say holy cow, I’ve read some great fiction. Somet...
- The Bible and Culture
The Pilgrimage: Turkey, Part Thirteen: A trip to Aphrodisias is always a treat as it is a truly spectacular site, and now it sports the bes...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Reflecting on Today’s Sunday School Discussion: Today my Sunday School class, The Way at First UMC Pensacola, will spend a second week discussing Pr...
No Public Engagement, Please. We’re Theologians!: Emeritus Professor Larry Hurtado is a well respected scholar who has made significant contributions...