Book review: Sex God
by Rob Bell
Relax, folks, this is not a call to worship Yahweh like some kind of fertility idol. It’s just another of Bell’s weird book titles.
I’m a Bell fan, but I confess this wasn’t one of my favorites. If we’re gonna talk about this stuff, well, there are lots of interesting passages in the Bible about sex, sexuality, and the sexes. But Bell ignores all the interesting discussion, and zeroes in on two basic themes:
1. Sex is a reality of life. We’re not animals and we’re not angels. (I’d argue that we’re both, but I’ll save that for another time). The Bible says we’re higher than the animals, and we’re higher than the angels! Sex should not degenerate into animalistic urges, but neither should we pretend we’re sexless beings like angels. It’s a special, if confusing, gift.
2. But don’t do it until you’re ready for marriage. In the Bible, sex was the final, binding act of a marriage. It is not the ceremony that joins two people together forever, it is the carnal act, and this is God’s way.
Bell plays more of the role of a pastor than a teacher in this book, so I found it less interesting than his other works. But maybe it’s just what you’re looking for.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: The Question of Canon
- Book review: The Dave Test
- Book review: Worshiping with Charles Darwin
- Book review: Christian History Made Easy
- Book review: Creation Strikes Back
- Book review: Messiah: Origin
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Battles of the Bible
- Book review: The End of Apologetics
- Book review: Doubting Stephen
- Book review: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Mylo
- Book review: The Historical David: The Real Life of an Invented Hero
- Book review: Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Gatekeepers
- Book review: When the Kings Come Marching In
- Book review: I’m Only Human After All
- Book review: God In Slow Motion
- Book review: Consider the Birds
- Book review: Paul and Judaism Revisited
- Book review: Questioning Your Way to Faith
- Book review: Appletopia: Media Technology and the Religious Imagination of Steve Jobs
- Book review: Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods
- Book review: Invitation to the New Testament
- Book review: Cycles of Salvation History
- Book review: The Problem with Christ
- Book review: 31 Rays of Hope
- Book review: I don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
- Book review: Billy Graham in Quotes
- Book review: Rapture’s Rain
- Genesis 8:7, Why the Raven Failed
- Genesis 9:13, God Gives Us the Rainbow
- 1 Corinthians 10:21, Dining at the Table of Demons
- Hebrews 12:1-2, Laying Aside Every Weight
- James 1:1, James and the Q Sayings of Jesus
- John 9:32: Nobody Can Cure the Blind!
- John 3:5: Born out of Water and Spirit
- 2 Corinthians 13:10, The Severe Letter
- 1 Corinthians 14:11, The Barbarians
- Galations 5:11-12, I Wish the Knife Would Slip!
- Revelation 21:2, The Parousia, part III of III
- Psalm 24:7, The Parousia, part II of III
- 1 Thessalonians 4:17, The Parousia, part I of III
- 1 Corinthians 14:33-34, Women Must Be Quiet In Church!
- Luke 24:2, Why was the Stone Rolled Away?
- Genesis 2:7, Altruism and the Moral Law
- Luke 1:34-35, The Moment of Jesus’ Conception
- Mark 13:14, Pay Attention and Get Out Of Jerusalem!
- Isaiah 5:1, The Lord’s Vineyard
- Romans 16:21, Who Wrote the Gospel of Luke? Part II of II
- Romans 16:21, Who Wrote the Gospel of Luke? Part I of II
- Mark 9:7, The Three-Fold Revelation
- Acts 1:9, Where Did Jesus Go?
- John 1:1, Why Does John Think Jesus Is God?
- Luke 22:38, Two Swords: It Is Enough
- Luke 2:2, The Problem with Quirinius
- Luke 16:11, The Unrighteousness of Money
- 1 John 5:1, Jesus is the Christ
- Judges 6:13, Where are all the miracles?
- 2 Chronicles 24:20-21, Which Zechariah was murdered in the Temple? Part IV of IV
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Links on Nelson Mandela: I would like to share some links about the late Nelson Mandela.1. This is a post that I wrote...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Biographies of faith: The Rabbi of 84th Street by Warren Kozak: In keeping with the spirit of my previous post, I’m happy to report that my public library has...
- The Bible and Culture
The Legacy of Mandela– Non-Violence and Forgiveness as a Means of Change: There are probably only a distinct minority of persons on this globe who have not heard of Nelson Ma...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Psalm 122: On Praying for Both Israelis and Palestinians: Bruce Epperly, in his comments on the scriptures for the first Sunday in Advent at Process & Fa...
Why (Not) Read the Gospels as Fiction?: A blog reader has alerted me to a book by Clarke W. Owens, Son of Yahweh: The Gospels as Novels, tha...