Book review: Sex God
by Rob Bell
Relax, folks, this is not a call to worship Yahweh like some kind of fertility idol. It’s just another of Bell’s weird book titles.
I’m a Bell fan, but I confess this wasn’t one of my favorites. If we’re gonna talk about this stuff, well, there are lots of interesting passages in the Bible about sex, sexuality, and the sexes. But Bell ignores all the interesting discussion, and zeroes in on two basic themes:
1. Sex is a reality of life. We’re not animals and we’re not angels. (I’d argue that we’re both, but I’ll save that for another time). The Bible says we’re higher than the animals, and we’re higher than the angels! Sex should not degenerate into animalistic urges, but neither should we pretend we’re sexless beings like angels. It’s a special, if confusing, gift.
2. But don’t do it until you’re ready for marriage. In the Bible, sex was the final, binding act of a marriage. It is not the ceremony that joins two people together forever, it is the carnal act, and this is God’s way.
Bell plays more of the role of a pastor than a teacher in this book, so I found it less interesting than his other works. But maybe it’s just what you’re looking for.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Luke 15:21-24 Who is the Prodigal Son?
- Matthew 13:45-46, The Dark Side of the Pearl
- Mark 14:62, The Son of Man
- Luke 24:44, What is the Tanakh?
- Genesis 9:25-27, The Curse of Ham
- Matthew 12:22-24, The Battle With Satan
- Matthew chapters 13, 20 and 22: Parables of the Kingdom
- Matthew 23:33, The Authoritarian God
- Luke 6:20, The First to Enjoy the Kingdom
- Matthew 5:39, Matthew’s Unique Jesus
- Galatians 4:30, Cast aside the Law
- 1 Corinthians 12:27, The Body of Christ
- Matthew 24:34, The Liberal’s Bible
- Mark 1:1 The Messianic Secret
- Mark 3:32-33, The House Church
- Acts 14:14, Paul the Apostle
- Matthew 3:2, Was Jesus a Disciple of John the Baptist?
- John 13:4-5, The Suffering Servant
- Deuteronomy 18:21, How To Know When God Is Speaking
- Exodus 20:4-5, One Calf Or Two? Part II of II
- Exodus 32:4, One Calf Or Two? Part I of II
- Matthew 25:33, What’s Wrong With Goats?
- Genesis 6:14, What Is An Ark?
- Genesis 29:26, Jacob Gets His Just Desserts
- Matthew 28:19-20, The REAL Great Commission
- Matthew 5:13, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part II of II
- Matthew 25:33, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part I of II
- Luke 17:34-35, The Fate of the Raptured
- Genesis 9:4, God Allows Eating Meat, Part II of II
- Genesis 1:29, God Allows Eating Meat, Part I of II
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Book Write-Up: To Kill a Lion: Bruce Lengeman. To Kill a Lion: Destroying the Power of Lust from the Root. Apopka, Flor...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Immigrant Stories Challenge: 50 Children by Steven Pressman: Knowing it had generated a good deal of positive buzz over the last six months or so, it was hard fo...
- The Bible and Culture
Jim Bakker is Back— And Doesn’t know Beans about the Apocalypse: If you are old enough to remember Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker and the Praise the Loot (err…. Lor...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Links: Some C. S. Lewis on Christmas: Thomas Hudgins provides samples: here, here, and here. For those who may not know, Thomas Hudgins is...
Seven Reasons for Atheists to Celebrate the Holidays: But only Six reasons if you live in the southern hemisphere. Greta Christina on Freethought Blogs .