Genesis 25:1, Who Was Abraham’s Second Wife?
Then again Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah.
//After Sarah died, Abraham married again, to a woman named Keturah. Together, they had several more children. 1 Chronicles 1:32, however, calls Keturah not a wife but a concubine. So which is it? Wife or concubine?
Answer: Maybe both. Keturah was Sarah’s maidservant and bore a child to Abraham years before she became Abraham’s wife. How do we know this? Because if oral tradition is to be trusted, we already know this woman well. Keturah is another name for Hagar, the woman who bore Ishmael. The woman whom Sarah demanded be cast out into the desert with her son. Keturah means “perfumed,” and the tradition notes that Hagar was “perfumed with good deeds.”
So with Hagar out on her own, how did this reconnect with Abraham transpire? Well, it turns out that Isaac had been living in Beerlahairoi before he married, which hints that he had been living with Hagar and Ishmael. See Genesis 16:14, 24:62, 25:11. Evidently, after Sarah died, the influence of Isaac and Ishmael brought Hagar and Abraham back together … one happy family once again. When Abraham died, Isaac and Ishmael together buried him.
A speculative scenario, but a pleasant one.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Blood Doctrine
- Book review: The Pursuit of God
- Book review: God Needs Salvation
- Book review: The Divine Magician
- Book review: Short Stories By Jesus
- Book review: Napkin Notes
- Book review: Questioning Your Doubts
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Matthew 21:19, God Hates Figs
- Psalm 23:4, The Valley of Death
- Luke 10:26, Loving Both Neighbor and Enemy
- Luke 15:28, Who is the Lost Son?
- Leviticus 19:33-34, Resident Aliens
- Luke 10:28, How To Live
- Book review: Finding God In Suffering: A Journey With Job
- Luke 15:22, Another Side of the Prodigal Son
- Luke 15:18, The Non-Repentant Prodigal
- Matthew 8:10, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part II of II
- John 11:47, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part I of II
- Luke 2: 13-14 Angels We Have Heard On High
- Luke 5:5-7, The Fate of the Lost Sheep
- Luke 15:21-24 Who is the Prodigal Son?
- Matthew 13:45-46, The Dark Side of the Pearl
- Mark 14:62, The Son of Man
- Luke 24:44, What is the Tanakh?
- Genesis 9:25-27, The Curse of Ham
- Matthew 12:22-24, The Battle With Satan
- Matthew chapters 13, 20 and 22: Parables of the Kingdom
- Matthew 23:33, The Authoritarian God
- Luke 6:20, The First to Enjoy the Kingdom
- Matthew 5:39, Matthew’s Unique Jesus
- Galatians 4:30, Cast aside the Law
- 1 Corinthians 12:27, The Body of Christ
- Matthew 24:34, The Liberal’s Bible
- Mark 1:1 The Messianic Secret
- Mark 3:32-33, The House Church
- Acts 14:14, Paul the Apostle
- Matthew 3:2, Was Jesus a Disciple of John the Baptist?
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Ramblings on The Devil's Advocate and Demons Being Unafraid of the Bible: I watched the 1997 movie, The Devil’s Advocate, on Saturday night. In this movie, Keanu Ree...
- Maphead's Book Blog
2014 European Reading Challenge Wrap Up: Rose City Reader’s European Reading Challenge is one of my favorite reading challenges. Each year...
- The Bible and Culture
The Soul of Discretion— Another Simon Serrailler Case: In the eighth installment of Susan Hill’s much praised detective series, she takes on a subjec...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Sending out Rejections: As an editor and publisher, I often have the joy of telling an author that their work will become av...
Was Christianity Born from a “Pentecostal” Movement?: I have just completed reading one scholar’s work that does argue that Paul spread Christianity...