Genesis 24:2-3, Keep your man-parts out of harm’s way, part II of III
[Abraham] said to the chief servant in his household, the one in charge of all that he had, “Put your hand under my thigh. I want you to swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and the God of earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites …”
//Now, I don’t know exactly where that hand “under the thigh” went, but this I do recognize from linguistics: The word testify, like testimony, is rooted in the word testicles … the source of human seed. God’s promise to Abraham was that his seed would be plentiful, and in ancient times, it was believed that the source of life existed entirely in the sperm; a woman’s role in reproduction was no more than to provide a house for the seed to grow.
Dating back to the time of Abraham, then, an oath is sworn “under the thigh,” where life resides.
Yesterday, I discussed the severity of the punishment for any woman who grabs a man’s testicles in a fight. Her hand was cut off. Perhaps we should not be surprised that laws such as this cropped up, protecting the life within another man.
There is, however, another way to look at this punishment of mutilation. We’ll wrap up this discussion tomorrow with an interesting twist.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- Genesis 6:14, What Is An Ark?
- Genesis 29:26, Jacob Gets His Just Desserts
- Matthew 28:19-20, The REAL Great Commission
- Matthew 5:13, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part II of II
- Matthew 25:33, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part I of II
- Luke 17:34-35, The Fate of the Raptured
- Genesis 9:4, God Allows Eating Meat, Part II of II
- Genesis 1:29, God Allows Eating Meat, Part I of II
- Genesis 25:25, The Red and Hairy Edomites
- Genesis 2:7, Rain Brings Forth Life, Part II of II
- Genesis 2:5-6, Rain Brings Forth Life, Part I of II
- Revelation 20:4, The Thousand Year Reign
- Mark 9:24, Pascal’s Wager
- Judges 21:20-21, The Tribe of Benjamin Is Rescued!
- Job 1:4-5 Why Job Ignored His Friends
- Genesis 19:32-33, The Daughters’ Revenge, Part II of II
- Genesis 19:8, The Daughters’ Revenge, Part I of II
- Hebrews 4:12, Killing with the Word
- Luke 2:38, The Promised Redeemer of Israel
- Exodus 12:8-9, How To Eat The Passover Lamb
- Mark 10:37, Sitting on Jesus’ Left and Right
- Exodus 20:24-25, Where To Offer Sacrifice
- John 21:11 Why 153 Fish?
- John :42-44, The Earliest Christian Church, part IV of IV
- John 8:28, The Earliest Christian Church, Part III of IV
- Galatian 2:9, The Earliest Christian Church, Part II of IV
- Acts 4:32-35: The Earliest Christian Church, Part I of IV
- Mark 6:22-24, Who Wanted John the Baptist Dead?
- Matthew 22:7, The King’s Wedding
- Matthew 9:7, New Wine in Old Bottles
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Book Write-Up: The Sacred Year: Michael Yankoski. The Sacred Year: Mapping the Soulscape of Spiritual Practice—-How Contemp...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Immigrant Stories Challenge: The Beggar and the Hare by Tuomas Kyrö: With 75 per cent of the year over, when I look back on my reading I feel like a lazy slacker. That...
- The Bible and Culture
Blomberg’s Can We Still Believe the Bible—Part Three: Mention the issue of textual criticism and some people think you’re actually talking about cri...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Major on the Clear Stuff: I get disturbed when I see people around me disturbed by the latest Bible mystery, or obscure interp...
Maurice Casey’s Calumny: My Reply: When I first read Maurice Casey’s descriptions of me and this blog I couldn’t take them...