Deuteronomy 25:11-12, Keep your man-parts out of harm’s way, Part I of III
If two Israelite men get into a fight and the wife of one tries to rescue her husband by grabbing the testicles of the other man, you must cut off her hand. Show her no pity.
//This may seem like a strange law, but it’s actually a very important deterrent. Deuteronomy 23:1 explains that if a man’s testicles are crushed, he is no longer admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Nor, adds Leviticus 21:20, may any man with such a defect approach God with a food offering.
It appears manliness is next to Godliness, and it won’t do to have women running around grabbing at stuff. Damaged man-organs rank up there on God’s list of abominations with hunchbacks, dwarves, illegitimate births, and missing eyes. In God’s world, testes are important even on animals; Leviticus 22:24 cautions against offering an animal with damaged testicles as a sacrifice.
However, it may not pay to become too richly endowed, either. Such men may prove too much of a temptation for Godly women, according to Ezekiel, chapter 23 … in language I dare not repeat here.
More on this tomorrow, on a more serious note, but for today, guys, the best advice might be to keep your jeans on.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Napkin Notes
- Book review: Questioning Your Doubts
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Luke 2: 13-14 Angels We Have Heard On High
- Luke 5:5-7, The Fate of the Lost Sheep
- Luke 15:21-24 Who is the Prodigal Son?
- Matthew 13:45-46, The Dark Side of the Pearl
- Mark 14:62, The Son of Man
- Luke 24:44, What is the Tanakh?
- Genesis 9:25-27, The Curse of Ham
- Matthew 12:22-24, The Battle With Satan
- Matthew chapters 13, 20 and 22: Parables of the Kingdom
- Matthew 23:33, The Authoritarian God
- Luke 6:20, The First to Enjoy the Kingdom
- Matthew 5:39, Matthew’s Unique Jesus
- Galatians 4:30, Cast aside the Law
- 1 Corinthians 12:27, The Body of Christ
- Matthew 24:34, The Liberal’s Bible
- Mark 1:1 The Messianic Secret
- Mark 3:32-33, The House Church
- Acts 14:14, Paul the Apostle
- Matthew 3:2, Was Jesus a Disciple of John the Baptist?
- John 13:4-5, The Suffering Servant
- Deuteronomy 18:21, How To Know When God Is Speaking
- Exodus 20:4-5, One Calf Or Two? Part II of II
- Exodus 32:4, One Calf Or Two? Part I of II
- Matthew 25:33, What’s Wrong With Goats?
- Genesis 6:14, What Is An Ark?
- Genesis 29:26, Jacob Gets His Just Desserts
- Matthew 28:19-20, The REAL Great Commission
- Matthew 5:13, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part II of II
- Matthew 25:33, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part I of II
- Luke 17:34-35, The Fate of the Raptured
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
"Literally": I was watching the movie Prayers for Bobby yesterday. It’s about a Christian fundamentalist...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Books About Books: The Accident by Chris Pavone: Earlier this year I was introduced to Chris Pavone’s Edgar Award-winning debut novel The Expats. O...
- The Bible and Culture
The Prince of Peace– Part Five: ‘What should I give him, poor as I am, If I was a shepherd, I would give a lamb…’...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Embrace Interpretation: When I tell someone that they need to consider how they interpret a particular verse, I often get th...
Dignity: I liked this latest by Reba Riley on her Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome blog. The title “The...