Deuteronomy 25:11-12, Keep your man-parts out of harm’s way, Part I of III
If two Israelite men get into a fight and the wife of one tries to rescue her husband by grabbing the testicles of the other man, you must cut off her hand. Show her no pity.
//This may seem like a strange law, but it’s actually a very important deterrent. Deuteronomy 23:1 explains that if a man’s testicles are crushed, he is no longer admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Nor, adds Leviticus 21:20, may any man with such a defect approach God with a food offering.
It appears manliness is next to Godliness, and it won’t do to have women running around grabbing at stuff. Damaged man-organs rank up there on God’s list of abominations with hunchbacks, dwarves, illegitimate births, and missing eyes. In God’s world, testes are important even on animals; Leviticus 22:24 cautions against offering an animal with damaged testicles as a sacrifice.
However, it may not pay to become too richly endowed, either. Such men may prove too much of a temptation for Godly women, according to Ezekiel, chapter 23 … in language I dare not repeat here.
More on this tomorrow, on a more serious note, but for today, guys, the best advice might be to keep your jeans on.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
Enjoy The Dubious Disciple?
- Book review: Natural God, Deism in the Age of Intelligent Design
- Book review: Daughter of the King
- Book review: Muhammed, A Prophet For Our Time
- Book review: Sunday Morning Stickup
- Book review: God or Godless?
- Book review: Prodigal Christianity
- Book review: Jesus Wants To Save Christians
- Book review: The Essence of Religions
- Book review: Navigating Revelation
- Book review: Chasing an Elusive God
- Book review: Paradise Earth: Day Zero
- Book review: Exposing Myths About Christianity
- Book review: The Holy Family
- Book review: The Almond Tree
- Book review: Exploring Faith and Reason
- Book review: On God’s Side
- Book review: The Myth of Persecution
- Book review: Romance Eternelle
- Book review: An Uncertain Age
- Book review: How To Be An Agnostic
- Book review: Let The Bible Be Itself
- Book review: Faitheist
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Walking Toward Morning
- Book review: Crossing the Street
- Book review: The World That Shaped the New Testament
- Book review: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Deconstructing Lucifer
- Book review: A Faith of Our Own
- Book review: Immortal Diamond
- Daniel 1:1, When Was Daniel Written
- Judges 4:21, How Did Sisera Die?
- Genesis 1:27, Is God Our Heavenly Mommy?
- Exodus 21:22-23, Is Abortion a Sin? part II of II
- Psalm 139:13, Is Abortion a Sin? part I of II
- Psalm 8:4, Leave Me Alone, God!
- Leviticus 25:13, The Jubilee Year
- Genesis 30:13, The Twelve Tribes of Israel, part II of II
- Judges 5:17, The Twelve Tribes of Israel, part I of II
- Leviticus 22:11, Slavery in Israel
- Daniel 12:7, Scattering the Jews
- John 13:5, Washing Our Feet
- Numbers 12:10, Black and White
- 2 Kings 22:8, Where did the book of Deuteronomy come from?
- Psalm 105:27, The Seven Plagues of Egypt
- Genesis 26:7, Sarah the Sex Slave, part III of III
- Genesis 20:1-2, Sarah the Sex Slave, part II of III
- Genesis 12:11-13, Sarah the Sex Slave, Part I of III
- Isaiah 58:10, The Cure For Depression
- 1 Kings 3:25, Solomon’s Metaphor (Cut the Baby In Two!)
- Psalm 104, The Great Hymn to the Aten
- 1 Samuel 3:4, Is Suicide a Sin?
- John 19:34, Jesus’ Side Is Pierced
- 1 Kings 6:1-2, Solomon’s Palace and Temple
- Exodus 12:37-38, The Conquest of Canaan (part III of III)
- Judges 1:8, The Conquest of Canaan (part II of III)
- Exodus 1:11, The Conquest of Canaan (part I of III)
- John 5:24-25, What does Realized Eschatology mean?
- Deuteronomy 32:8-9, Jehovah’s Portion
- Ezekiel 16:49, What Was the Sin of Sodom and Gomorrah?
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Ambrose's Nixon: The Triumph of a Politician 3: I'm reading Stephen Ambrose's Nixon: The Triumph of a Politician, 1962-1972. What especially...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Infection: The Uninvited Universe by Gerald Callahan: While winter has long been considered the cold and flu season, so far this spring, reading-wise anyw...
- The Bible and Culture
The Durham Chronicles– Visit to York Part Two: I have a confession to make— I am a stained glass window junkie. I just love those things. I g...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
The Federal Government Could Save Some Money: … by not doing this. Maybe some of those states’ rights advocates could apply some state...
The Genre of the Gospels: How the Consensus Changed (Part 8): Part 8: Attacking the foundations: The “uniqueness” of the gospels A meeting of the mind...