1 John 4:16, God is Love
God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
//Here is a verse dear to all strands of Christianity. Regardless of how you imagine God to be love, Christians agree that He is love.
It turns out that this manner of picturing God is common to many religions. The following quotes are taken from J. C. Tefft’s new book, The Christ is Not a Person:
Buddhism: He that loveth not, knoweth not God. For God is love.
Confucius: Love belongs to the highest Heaven and is the quiet home where man should dwell.
Hinduism: The entire universe is in the glory of God … the God of love.
Jewish: Love is the beginning and the end of the Torah.
Sufism: For God is the God of Love, and Love calls from all these, each one His home.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Flipped
- Book review: Resurrection City
- Book review: The Good Shepherd
- Book review: Blood Doctrine
- Book review: The Pursuit of God
- Book review: God Needs Salvation
- Book review: The Divine Magician
- Book review: Short Stories By Jesus
- Book review: Napkin Notes
- Book review: Questioning Your Doubts
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Mark 2:14, Who Followed Whom?
- Book review: Wanted
- Mark 12:41-44, The Widow’s Farthing
- Genesis 22:11-12, Did God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac? Part III of III
- Genesis 11:31, Did God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac? Part II of III
- Genesis 22:2, Did God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice Isaac? Part I of III
- Book Excerpt: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Acts 10:28, Quoting Ancient Poets
- Mark 5:5, Legion and the Roman Armies
- Luke 16:31, The Warning From Hell
- Matthew 26:50, The Friend of Jesus
- Matthew 21:13, The Den of Robbers
- Matthew 20:1-2 Jesus on Welfare
- Matthew 4:3, Why Rock n Roll is Wrong
- Psalm 23 Comparing the Shepherd’s Psalm to Mark Chapter 6
- Psalm 23:1-2, The Two Banquets, Part II of II
- Mark 6:21: The Two Banquets, Part I of II
- Zechariah 9:9, Jesus Chooses Peace
- Luke 10:33, The Priest, the Levite, and…
- Matthew 21:19, God Hates Figs
- Psalm 23:4, The Valley of Death
- Luke 10:26, Loving Both Neighbor and Enemy
- Luke 15:28, Who is the Lost Son?
- Leviticus 19:33-34, Resident Aliens
- Luke 10:28, How To Live
- Book review: Finding God In Suffering: A Journey With Job
- Luke 15:22, Another Side of the Prodigal Son
- Luke 15:18, The Non-Repentant Prodigal
- Matthew 8:10, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part II of II
- John 11:47, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part I of II
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Ramblings on Love, Being Loved, and Reciprocity: I am still reading that biography of Thomas Merton, a Trappist monk. It’s The Seven Mountain...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Soviet Spotlight: Archive 17 by Sam Eastland: After falling in love with the historical spy novels of Alan Furst I wondered if there was anything...
- The Bible and Culture
Uncommon Sense— Part One: I’ve grown weary of so many Christians using the phrase “well it’s just common sen...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Video Repost: Idolatry and Trust: My sister was going through my older YouTube videos and called my attention to the one titled Idolat...