1 John 4:16, God is Love
God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
//Here is a verse dear to all strands of Christianity. Regardless of how you imagine God to be love, Christians agree that He is love.
It turns out that this manner of picturing God is common to many religions. The following quotes are taken from J. C. Tefft’s new book, The Christ is Not a Person:
Buddhism: He that loveth not, knoweth not God. For God is love.
Confucius: Love belongs to the highest Heaven and is the quiet home where man should dwell.
Hinduism: The entire universe is in the glory of God … the God of love.
Jewish: Love is the beginning and the end of the Torah.
Sufism: For God is the God of Love, and Love calls from all these, each one His home.
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Matthew 13:45-46, The Dark Side of the Pearl
- Mark 14:62, The Son of Man
- Luke 24:44, What is the Tanakh?
- Genesis 9:25-27, The Curse of Ham
- Matthew 12:22-24, The Battle With Satan
- Matthew chapters 13, 20 and 22: Parables of the Kingdom
- Matthew 23:33, The Authoritarian God
- Luke 6:20, The First to Enjoy the Kingdom
- Matthew 5:39, Matthew’s Unique Jesus
- Galatians 4:30, Cast aside the Law
- 1 Corinthians 12:27, The Body of Christ
- Matthew 24:34, The Liberal’s Bible
- Mark 1:1 The Messianic Secret
- Mark 3:32-33, The House Church
- Acts 14:14, Paul the Apostle
- Matthew 3:2, Was Jesus a Disciple of John the Baptist?
- John 13:4-5, The Suffering Servant
- Deuteronomy 18:21, How To Know When God Is Speaking
- Exodus 20:4-5, One Calf Or Two? Part II of II
- Exodus 32:4, One Calf Or Two? Part I of II
- Matthew 25:33, What’s Wrong With Goats?
- Genesis 6:14, What Is An Ark?
- Genesis 29:26, Jacob Gets His Just Desserts
- Matthew 28:19-20, The REAL Great Commission
- Matthew 5:13, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part II of II
- Matthew 25:33, Doing Good: The Meaning of Christianity, Part I of II
- Luke 17:34-35, The Fate of the Raptured
- Genesis 9:4, God Allows Eating Meat, Part II of II
- Genesis 1:29, God Allows Eating Meat, Part I of II
- Genesis 25:25, The Red and Hairy Edomites
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Once Upon a Time Cliffhanger: Happy Endings: I watched the winter cliffhanger to Once Upon a Time last Sunday night. I’d like to share wh...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Pan-European Lives: The Polish Officer by Alan Furst: As I declared in one of my earlier posts, it appears novelist Alan Furst has turned me into a bit of...
- The Bible and Culture
The Bible and its Difficulties— Part One: ...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Something Positive To Watch This Morning!: ...
Transvalued Folktales & Classifying the Bible’s Narratives: Recently I posted on the twenty-two typical incidents Lord Raglan found in certain types of mythical...