Genesis 23:1-2, How Did Abraham’s Wife Die?
Sarah lived to be a hundred and twenty-seven years old. She died at Kiriath Arba.
//Do you picture Isaac as a young boy when Abraham took him up the mountain to sacrifice him? Most people do. But one wonders how he is able to carry the wood for the sacrifice on his back if he’s a child.
Instead, according to both the Talmud and the Kabbalah, Isaac was a fully-grown man of 37 years old. Now, if we do the math, Isaac was born to Sarah when she was 90, and Sarah died when she was 127 years old, so that would make Isaac 37 years old. Thus Sarah died in the year God told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, his son.
We can probably pin the time of her death down even further. After Abraham (and presumably Isaac) trudge back down the mountain after the aborted sacrifice, they head off to Beersheba. The very next thing we read is that Sarah died at Kiriath Arba (Hebron), and Abraham “went” to mourn for her. So Abraham never saw his wife again alive after he left to sacrifice Isaac. Batteries hadn’t been invented yet, so Abraham’s cell phone would have been no help. We are left with the assumption that Sarah died of heartache from Abraham travelling off to murder her only son.
So, God saves Abraham’s son from sacrifice but the ordeal kills his wife?
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: The Certainty of the Unexpected
- Book review: The Question of Canon
- Book review: The Dave Test
- Book review: Worshiping with Charles Darwin
- Book review: Christian History Made Easy
- Book review: Creation Strikes Back
- Book review: Messiah: Origin
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Battles of the Bible
- Book review: The End of Apologetics
- Book review: Doubting Stephen
- Book review: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Mylo
- Book review: The Historical David: The Real Life of an Invented Hero
- Book review: Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Gatekeepers
- Book review: When the Kings Come Marching In
- Book review: I’m Only Human After All
- Book review: God In Slow Motion
- Book review: Consider the Birds
- Book review: Paul and Judaism Revisited
- Book review: Questioning Your Way to Faith
- Book review: Appletopia: Media Technology and the Religious Imagination of Steve Jobs
- Book review: Minds, Brains, Souls and Gods
- Book review: Invitation to the New Testament
- Book review: Cycles of Salvation History
- Book review: The Problem with Christ
- Book review: 31 Rays of Hope
- Book review: I don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist
- Book review: Billy Graham in Quotes
- Genesis 8:7, Why the Raven Failed
- Genesis 9:13, God Gives Us the Rainbow
- 1 Corinthians 10:21, Dining at the Table of Demons
- Hebrews 12:1-2, Laying Aside Every Weight
- James 1:1, James and the Q Sayings of Jesus
- John 9:32: Nobody Can Cure the Blind!
- John 3:5: Born out of Water and Spirit
- 2 Corinthians 13:10, The Severe Letter
- 1 Corinthians 14:11, The Barbarians
- Galations 5:11-12, I Wish the Knife Would Slip!
- Revelation 21:2, The Parousia, part III of III
- Psalm 24:7, The Parousia, part II of III
- 1 Thessalonians 4:17, The Parousia, part I of III
- 1 Corinthians 14:33-34, Women Must Be Quiet In Church!
- Luke 24:2, Why was the Stone Rolled Away?
- Genesis 2:7, Altruism and the Moral Law
- Luke 1:34-35, The Moment of Jesus’ Conception
- Mark 13:14, Pay Attention and Get Out Of Jerusalem!
- Isaiah 5:1, The Lord’s Vineyard
- Romans 16:21, Who Wrote the Gospel of Luke? Part II of II
- Romans 16:21, Who Wrote the Gospel of Luke? Part I of II
- Mark 9:7, The Three-Fold Revelation
- Acts 1:9, Where Did Jesus Go?
- John 1:1, Why Does John Think Jesus Is God?
- Luke 22:38, Two Swords: It Is Enough
- Luke 2:2, The Problem with Quirinius
- Luke 16:11, The Unrighteousness of Money
- 1 John 5:1, Jesus is the Christ
- Judges 6:13, Where are all the miracles?
- 2 Chronicles 24:20-21, Which Zechariah was murdered in the Temple? Part IV of IV
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Real Peace, by Richard Nixon: I read Richard Nixon's 1983 book, Real Peace. This book overlapped in areas with the last fore...
- Maphead's Book Blog
The Vatican Diaries by John Thavis: One of the cool things about taking part in reading challenges is it gives you the opportunity to se...
- The Bible and Culture
Old Dragon Breath is Coming, And he has a Bad Hobbit: ...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Psalm 122: On Praying for Both Israelis and Palestinians: Bruce Epperly, in his comments on the scriptures for the first Sunday in Advent at Process & Fa...
Atwill responds to Carrier: In October I posted So this was “Kick Joe Atwill Week”. I have my own reasons for not accepting...