John 17:3, What is eternal life?
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
//The Greek word aionios appears seventeen times in John’s Gospel, always translated in the King James Version to either “eternal” or “everlasting.” It’s a key theme to the Gospel. But what does it really mean?
What it doesn’t mean is life in heaven. It’s unfortunate that the word John uses over and over has been translated as it has, because the words “eternal” and “everlasting” don’t manage to convey the bliss intended. In actuality, the word speaks not of the quantity of life, but the quality. It means, specifically, “the life in the age to come.” Bible scholars typically retranslate “eternal life” as “life in abundance” or “fullness of life.”
This does not mean John denies an afterlife up in heaven, it just means his focus is elsewhere. John never mentions living up in heaven. His concern is that, by knowing God, we will share a richer life on earth.
With that in mind … we’ve just completed the editing stage on my book about John’s Gospel, and we’ll soon be looking for media willing to review! Anybody interested? http://thewayithappened.com/john.shtml
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- The Miracle Free Gospel
- Book review: Announcing the Scientific Discovery of God
- Book review: Walking in the Moment between Tick and Tock–From Passover to Pentecost
- Book review: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Big Picture: An Honest Examination of God, Science, and Purpose
- Book review: The Adam Quest
- Book review: Process Theology: Embracing Adventure with God
- Book review: How Do We Know? An Introduction to Epistemology
- Book review: Holistic Spirituality: Life Transforming Wisdom from the Letter of James
- Book review: Morality is the Problem
- Book review: The Illusion of “Truth”: The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
- Book review: The IVP Bible Background Commentary
- Acts 1:12, A Sabbath Day’s Walk
- John 3:6, Born of the Female Holy Spirit
- 1 Chronicles 22:14, Solomon’s Temple Walls
- Judges 20:16, The Left-Handed Advantage
- Deuteronomy 25:9, Your Brotherly Duty
- Leviticus 11:20, An Easy Law To Keep
- Deuteronomy 25:19, Don’t Forget To Forget!
- Genesis 38:28, Zarah Wins by a Hand … but Loses!
- Acts 16:31, The Missing Words In Our Creeds
- Matthew 2:11, The Nazarene from Bethlehem
- Proverbs 14:31, Respect the Poor
- Galatians 2:2, Pauline and Petrine Christianity
- Micah 4:4, A New Economic Order
- Isaiah 55:3, The Hills Are Alive
- Matthew 9:11, The Closed Communion
- Acts 2:1-4, The Day Christianity Began
- Hosea 6:6, Jesus and Animal Sacrifice
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VIII of VIII
- Mark 9:42, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VII of VIII
- Matthew 8:5-7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VI of VIII
- 1 Corinthians 7:25, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part V of VIII
- Romans 2:1, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part IV of VIII
- Romans 1:25-27,Homosexuality and the Bible, Part III of VIII
- Jude 1:7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part II of VIII
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part I of VIII
- Matthew 4:15, Where was the book of Matthew written?
- Romans 1:18, The “Intelligent Design” Verse
- Matthew 10:30, Jesus Came To Bring Division?
- Acts 10:36, The Peace of Jesus Christ
- Acts 15:29, Eating Meat Sacrificed to Idols
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
"You Prayed and Believed Your WHOLE Life...": I was watching a YouTube video of the Christian movie, God’s Not Dead. Many people focus on...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Memoirs of Faith: Incognito by Andrea Raynor: I know it sounds crazy, but years ago I entertained the notion of attending divinity school. Crazier...
- The Bible and Culture
The Pilgrimage: Turkey, Part Fifteen: Ephesos is the Greek name for the city (Ephesus the Latin one), and it refers to bees, hence the bee...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
In (Partial) Defense of Confessional Schools: Brandon Withrow tells the story of How Westminster Theological Seminary Came to Define Fundamentalis...
No Public Engagement, Please. We’re Theologians!: Emeritus Professor Larry Hurtado is a well respected scholar who has made significant contributions...