Book review: Genesis People
by Sheila Deeth
If Sheila doesn’t like this word to describe her book, well, she’ll just have to get over it.
45 big-print, two-page stories introduce 45 characters from the book of Genesis, in a Dubious-Disciple-approved way. Real World, Real People, Real God, the subtitle proclaims. You’ll see what she means as soon as you start reading.
So Cain and Abel made their sacrifices. They made a fire and burned the best of the grain, and meat from the best of the animals for God. Then Cain noticed that the smoke from the meat was much thicker and smelled much nicer than the smoke from the grain. “Is that because God likes Abel more than me?” Cain asked. His mother said it was just because the fat from the meat burns hotter, but Cain wasn’t listening to her. The more Cain thought about it, the less he bothered to listen to anyone.
The book reads like one of those sunny children stories written for adults, the kind that leaves you smiling the whole way through. The back cover calls this a “middle-school reader for book-lovers of all ages, telling stories for all time.” I think that about nails it.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
Enjoy The Dubious Disciple?
- Book review: John’s Gospel, The Way It Happened
- Book review: Natural God, Deism in the Age of Intelligent Design
- Book review: Daughter of the King
- Book review: Muhammed, A Prophet For Our Time
- Book review: Sunday Morning Stickup
- Book review: God or Godless?
- Book review: Prodigal Christianity
- Book review: Jesus Wants To Save Christians
- Book review: The Essence of Religions
- Book review: Navigating Revelation
- Book review: Chasing an Elusive God
- Book review: Paradise Earth: Day Zero
- Book review: Exposing Myths About Christianity
- Book review: The Holy Family
- Book review: The Almond Tree
- Book review: Exploring Faith and Reason
- Book review: On God’s Side
- Book review: The Myth of Persecution
- Book review: Romance Eternelle
- Book review: An Uncertain Age
- Book review: How To Be An Agnostic
- Book review: Let The Bible Be Itself
- Book review: Faitheist
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Walking Toward Morning
- Book review: Crossing the Street
- Book review: The World That Shaped the New Testament
- Book review: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Deconstructing Lucifer
- Book review: A Faith of Our Own
- Acts 11:36, I am a Christian
- Mark 3:29, Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit
- Job 19:23-24, Carved With Iron and Lead
- Daniel 1:1, When Was Daniel Written
- Judges 4:21, How Did Sisera Die?
- Genesis 1:27, Is God Our Heavenly Mommy?
- Exodus 21:22-23, Is Abortion a Sin? part II of II
- Psalm 139:13, Is Abortion a Sin? part I of II
- Psalm 8:4, Leave Me Alone, God!
- Leviticus 25:13, The Jubilee Year
- Genesis 30:13, The Twelve Tribes of Israel, part II of II
- Judges 5:17, The Twelve Tribes of Israel, part I of II
- Leviticus 22:11, Slavery in Israel
- Daniel 12:7, Scattering the Jews
- John 13:5, Washing Our Feet
- Numbers 12:10, Black and White
- 2 Kings 22:8, Where did the book of Deuteronomy come from?
- Psalm 105:27, The Seven Plagues of Egypt
- Genesis 26:7, Sarah the Sex Slave, part III of III
- Genesis 20:1-2, Sarah the Sex Slave, part II of III
- Genesis 12:11-13, Sarah the Sex Slave, Part I of III
- Isaiah 58:10, The Cure For Depression
- 1 Kings 3:25, Solomon’s Metaphor (Cut the Baby In Two!)
- Psalm 104, The Great Hymn to the Aten
- 1 Samuel 3:4, Is Suicide a Sin?
- John 19:34, Jesus’ Side Is Pierced
- 1 Kings 6:1-2, Solomon’s Palace and Temple
- Exodus 12:37-38, The Conquest of Canaan (part III of III)
- Judges 1:8, The Conquest of Canaan (part II of III)
- Exodus 1:11, The Conquest of Canaan (part I of III)
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Charley Reese: I just learned that columnist Charley Reese has passed on. You can read about him here, here,...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Infection: The Uninvited Universe by Gerald Callahan: While winter has long been considered the cold and flu season, so far this spring, reading-wise anyw...
- The Bible and Culture
The Durham Chronicles– Down by the Riverside, Up on the Tower: Spring has finally sprung here (I had begun to think the spring was broken). So, I decided to take I...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
The Federal Government Could Save Some Money: … by not doing this. Maybe some of those states’ rights advocates could apply some state...
Science and Religion: Four Fundamental Differences: Religion has not gone away since the end of the Europe’s religious wars and the ensuing Age of...