Book review: Genesis People
by Sheila Deeth
If Sheila doesn’t like this word to describe her book, well, she’ll just have to get over it.
45 big-print, two-page stories introduce 45 characters from the book of Genesis, in a Dubious-Disciple-approved way. Real World, Real People, Real God, the subtitle proclaims. You’ll see what she means as soon as you start reading.
So Cain and Abel made their sacrifices. They made a fire and burned the best of the grain, and meat from the best of the animals for God. Then Cain noticed that the smoke from the meat was much thicker and smelled much nicer than the smoke from the grain. “Is that because God likes Abel more than me?” Cain asked. His mother said it was just because the fat from the meat burns hotter, but Cain wasn’t listening to her. The more Cain thought about it, the less he bothered to listen to anyone.
The book reads like one of those sunny children stories written for adults, the kind that leaves you smiling the whole way through. The back cover calls this a “middle-school reader for book-lovers of all ages, telling stories for all time.” I think that about nails it.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- The Miracle Free Gospel
- Book review: Announcing the Scientific Discovery of God
- Book review: Walking in the Moment between Tick and Tock–From Passover to Pentecost
- Book review: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Big Picture: An Honest Examination of God, Science, and Purpose
- Book review: The Adam Quest
- Book review: Process Theology: Embracing Adventure with God
- Matthew 9:7, New Wine in Old Bottles
- Mark 10:18, Why do you call me good?
- Exodus 20:26, Beware the Stairs!
- Exodus 32:14, God Repents
- Proverbs 10:15, Wealth is our Fortress
- 2 Samuel 7:16, David’s Throne becomes God’s Throne
- Genesis 9:25, Canaan’s Destiny
- John 20:29, Blessed are the Blind Believers
- Psalm 82:6-7, The Gods Will Die Like Mortals
- Acts 16:17, Libertarian Slaves?
- Deuteronomy 15:4, The Poor Will Be Always With You
- Psalms 121:6, Moonstroke?
- Luke 23:28, Weep For Your Children
- Matthew 15:22, The Canaanite Woman
- John 8:6, Jesus Writes on the Ground
- Leviticus 15:16, Baptism By Immersion Or Sprinkling?
- Genesis 3:15, The Seed of a Woman
- Acts 1:12, A Sabbath Day’s Walk
- John 3:6, Born of the Female Holy Spirit
- 1 Chronicles 22:14, Solomon’s Temple Walls
- Judges 20:16, The Left-Handed Advantage
- Deuteronomy 25:9, Your Brotherly Duty
- Leviticus 11:20, An Easy Law To Keep
- Deuteronomy 25:19, Don’t Forget To Forget!
- Genesis 38:28, Zarah Wins by a Hand … but Loses!
- Acts 16:31, The Missing Words In Our Creeds
- Matthew 2:11, The Nazarene from Bethlehem
- Proverbs 14:31, Respect the Poor
- Galatians 2:2, Pauline and Petrine Christianity
- Micah 4:4, A New Economic Order
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Book Write-Up: Julian of Norwich, A Contemplative Biography: Amy Frykholm. Julian of Norwich: A Contemplative Biography. Brewster, Massachusetts: Par...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff: We hear all the time about “failed states.” Usually located in somewhere in the developi...
- The Bible and Culture
The Gulet Boat Adventures and More: Part Three: I can smell the salt air, I can feel the sea breeze. It’s a great treat to go for a week long...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Irregular Verbs and Hermeneutics: In a few minutes I’m leaving to teach Sunday School and we’re talking about the inspirat...
Jesus Did Not Speak in Parables — the Evidence: The parables of Jesus are among many people’s favourite treasures in the Bible and the focus o...