Book review: In That Day Teachings
by Robert Burke
Once in a while, I agree to review a book which turns out to be a bit more pointed than I expected, and doesn’t really jell with the universalistic atmosphere of my blog. My response is usually to provide a “non-rating” of three stars, make it clear to readers that I avoid endorsing any particular set of beliefs, and offer a short description of the product without taking a stance. Such is the case with Robert Burke’s collections of In That Day poetry and essays.
Robert has amassed an impressive collection of nine books that read a bit like a writer’s journal. He has obviously poured his heart into this work. Book one is a preliminary introduction; book two contains “heavy doctrine and sharp criticism of the current dysfunction worldwide church;” and books three through nine are inspirational and instructive poetry. I was given books one and three for review.
Best, perhaps, to let Robert describe his poetry in his own words:
What is In That Day? It’s God’s biblical time of uplifting denouement. It’s His period on the end of His sentence. No, it is not the end-of-days. Nor is it that crazy notion some call rapture. It is simply His day when he can tolerate stupefied Christians no more! He wants a greater mind-meld with us, His creation. And by God, He will get what He wants!
The River of Life
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Blood Doctrine
- Book review: The Pursuit of God
- Book review: God Needs Salvation
- Book review: The Divine Magician
- Book review: Short Stories By Jesus
- Book review: Napkin Notes
- Book review: Questioning Your Doubts
- Book review: Glimpsing Heaven
- Reframing a Relevant Faith
- A Man Called Jesus, A Novel
- Book review: The River of Life
- God of Fire: The Hope Reformation
- The Weight of a Feather: and Other Stories
- Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense
- Book review: You Don’t Understand the Bible Because You Are Christian
- Book review: The Way of Serenity
- Book review: The Beckoning
- Book review: The Two Faces of Christianity
- Book review: The Book of Revelation and the Coming Judgment
- Book review: True Paradox: How Christianity Makes Sense Of Our Complex World
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: That Old Devil Called God Again
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Psalm 23:4, The Valley of Death
- Luke 10:26, Loving Both Neighbor and Enemy
- Luke 15:28, Who is the Lost Son?
- Leviticus 19:33-34, Resident Aliens
- Luke 10:28, How To Live
- Book review: Finding God In Suffering: A Journey With Job
- Luke 15:22, Another Side of the Prodigal Son
- Luke 15:18, The Non-Repentant Prodigal
- Matthew 8:10, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part II of II
- John 11:47, The Two Parables of Lazarus, Part I of II
- Luke 2: 13-14 Angels We Have Heard On High
- Luke 5:5-7, The Fate of the Lost Sheep
- Luke 15:21-24 Who is the Prodigal Son?
- Matthew 13:45-46, The Dark Side of the Pearl
- Mark 14:62, The Son of Man
- Luke 24:44, What is the Tanakh?
- Genesis 9:25-27, The Curse of Ham
- Matthew 12:22-24, The Battle With Satan
- Matthew chapters 13, 20 and 22: Parables of the Kingdom
- Matthew 23:33, The Authoritarian God
- Luke 6:20, The First to Enjoy the Kingdom
- Matthew 5:39, Matthew’s Unique Jesus
- Galatians 4:30, Cast aside the Law
- 1 Corinthians 12:27, The Body of Christ
- Matthew 24:34, The Liberal’s Bible
- Mark 1:1 The Messianic Secret
- Mark 3:32-33, The House Church
- Acts 14:14, Paul the Apostle
- Matthew 3:2, Was Jesus a Disciple of John the Baptist?
- John 13:4-5, The Suffering Servant
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Check, Check, Check: At church this morning, the pastor’s sermon was entitled “Check, Check, Check.” What’...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Expo 58: A Novel by Jonathan Coe: As I spend more time online, I’m starting to discover books that I might never have discovered...
- The Bible and Culture
‘En Taxei’— Quickly or Soon?: While many Christians know that the English word ‘taxi’ comes from the Greek word for ...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Follow-up on According to John: Making Himself Equal with God: There are a number of points I need to write about to follow up on my hangout from last Thursday nig...
The Memory Mavens, Part 5: Rituals and Remembrance (1): Earlier this month on The Jesus Blog, Anthony Le Donne, one of the main Memory Mavens let us know th...