2 Corinthians 6:14, Be not unequally yoked
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
//Long ago, a minister asked me to explain this verse. Many have used this verse to discourage interfaith marriage or marriage to an unbeliever. I was no minister, so I felt a bit proud to be asked my opinion, but I didn’t have much to say. I think I muttered something about how two people sharing a yoke needed to be working equally hard, or one would hold back the other.
Actually, Paul was referring to the law. Deuteronomy 22:10 reads, Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together. Why? Because sharing a yoke together would cause both animals discomfort in plowing. It was not that they couldn’t or wouldn’t share the same yoke, but that it would be painful.
Paul’s advice, it seems to me, is not to shun unbelievers as potential partners but to be aware that “plowing the field” together will be a painful process. Doesn’t matter whether you’re the ox or the ass.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: Calvin for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Wine and the Word
- Book review: postChristian
- Book review: The Eucharist
- Book review: The Synoptic Problem
- Book review: Lost Christianities
- Come Out of Her My People
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- The Miracle Free Gospel
- Book review: Announcing the Scientific Discovery of God
- Book review: Walking in the Moment between Tick and Tock–From Passover to Pentecost
- Book review: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Big Picture: An Honest Examination of God, Science, and Purpose
- Book review: The Adam Quest
- Book review: Process Theology: Embracing Adventure with God
- Mark 10:18, Why do you call me good?
- Exodus 20:26, Beware the Stairs!
- Exodus 32:14, God Repents
- Proverbs 10:15, Wealth is our Fortress
- 2 Samuel 7:16, David’s Throne becomes God’s Throne
- Genesis 9:25, Canaan’s Destiny
- John 20:29, Blessed are the Blind Believers
- Psalm 82:6-7, The Gods Will Die Like Mortals
- Acts 16:17, Libertarian Slaves?
- Deuteronomy 15:4, The Poor Will Be Always With You
- Psalms 121:6, Moonstroke?
- Luke 23:28, Weep For Your Children
- Matthew 15:22, The Canaanite Woman
- John 8:6, Jesus Writes on the Ground
- Leviticus 15:16, Baptism By Immersion Or Sprinkling?
- Genesis 3:15, The Seed of a Woman
- Acts 1:12, A Sabbath Day’s Walk
- John 3:6, Born of the Female Holy Spirit
- 1 Chronicles 22:14, Solomon’s Temple Walls
- Judges 20:16, The Left-Handed Advantage
- Deuteronomy 25:9, Your Brotherly Duty
- Leviticus 11:20, An Easy Law To Keep
- Deuteronomy 25:19, Don’t Forget To Forget!
- Genesis 38:28, Zarah Wins by a Hand … but Loses!
- Acts 16:31, The Missing Words In Our Creeds
- Matthew 2:11, The Nazarene from Bethlehem
- Proverbs 14:31, Respect the Poor
- Galatians 2:2, Pauline and Petrine Christianity
- Micah 4:4, A New Economic Order
- Isaiah 55:3, The Hills Are Alive
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
At the Zoo: We went to a zoo today. It’s a small zoo. The animals there are not exotic. The...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff: We hear all the time about “failed states.” Usually located in somewhere in the developi...
- The Bible and Culture
The Gulet Boat Adventures and More: Part One: After leading a tour as extensive and intensive as the tour we did of Israel and Turkey, what do you...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Irregular Verbs and Hermeneutics: In a few minutes I’m leaving to teach Sunday School and we’re talking about the inspirat...
Comparing Paul’s Epistles to Augustine’s Letters: The cakemix explodes Reacting to Dr. Richard Carrier’s recent article over at The Bible and I...