2 Chronicles 36:9, That Evil Child
Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned
three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in
the sight of the LORD.
//Ever wonder if a child could sin? Apparently so, enough for him to be
labeled evil at age eight. Jehoiachin was a chip off the old block; his
father did evil, and the uncle who replaced him after Nebechednezzer
kidnapped him and carried him off to Babylon did evil in the sight of God.
Other prodigies may have been a bit more responsible. King Josiah, who was
also crowned at age eight, reigned for thirty one years. He did that which
was right in the sight of the Lord.
Were these the youngest kings in the Bible? Nope. Joash was seven years
old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem.
Joash, like Josiah, did what was right in the eyes of the Lord.
The lesson? If you’re gonna be king, and want to last more than a few
months, do what’s right.
Note: While most Hebrew translations say Jehoiachin was king at age eight,
one Hebrew manuscript and some Septuagint manuscripts say eighteen years in 2 Kings 24:8.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
Enjoy The Dubious Disciple?
- Book review: Natural God, Deism in the Age of Intelligent Design
- Book review: Daughter of the King
- Book review: Muhammed, A Prophet For Our Time
- Book review: Sunday Morning Stickup
- Book review: God or Godless?
- Book review: Prodigal Christianity
- Book review: Jesus Wants To Save Christians
- Book review: The Essence of Religions
- Book review: Navigating Revelation
- Book review: Chasing an Elusive God
- Book review: Paradise Earth: Day Zero
- Book review: Exposing Myths About Christianity
- Book review: The Holy Family
- Book review: The Almond Tree
- Book review: Exploring Faith and Reason
- Book review: On God’s Side
- Book review: The Myth of Persecution
- Book review: Romance Eternelle
- Book review: An Uncertain Age
- Book review: How To Be An Agnostic
- Book review: Let The Bible Be Itself
- Book review: Faitheist
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Walking Toward Morning
- Book review: Crossing the Street
- Book review: The World That Shaped the New Testament
- Book review: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- Book review: Deconstructing Lucifer
- Book review: A Faith of Our Own
- Book review: Immortal Diamond
- Judges 4:21, How Did Sisera Die?
- Genesis 1:27, Is God Our Heavenly Mommy?
- Exodus 21:22-23, Is Abortion a Sin? part II of II
- Psalm 139:13, Is Abortion a Sin? part I of II
- Psalm 8:4, Leave Me Alone, God!
- Leviticus 25:13, The Jubilee Year
- Genesis 30:13, The Twelve Tribes of Israel, part II of II
- Judges 5:17, The Twelve Tribes of Israel, part I of II
- Leviticus 22:11, Slavery in Israel
- Daniel 12:7, Scattering the Jews
- John 13:5, Washing Our Feet
- Numbers 12:10, Black and White
- 2 Kings 22:8, Where did the book of Deuteronomy come from?
- Psalm 105:27, The Seven Plagues of Egypt
- Genesis 26:7, Sarah the Sex Slave, part III of III
- Genesis 20:1-2, Sarah the Sex Slave, part II of III
- Genesis 12:11-13, Sarah the Sex Slave, Part I of III
- Isaiah 58:10, The Cure For Depression
- 1 Kings 3:25, Solomon’s Metaphor (Cut the Baby In Two!)
- Psalm 104, The Great Hymn to the Aten
- 1 Samuel 3:4, Is Suicide a Sin?
- John 19:34, Jesus’ Side Is Pierced
- 1 Kings 6:1-2, Solomon’s Palace and Temple
- Exodus 12:37-38, The Conquest of Canaan (part III of III)
- Judges 1:8, The Conquest of Canaan (part II of III)
- Exodus 1:11, The Conquest of Canaan (part I of III)
- John 5:24-25, What does Realized Eschatology mean?
- Deuteronomy 32:8-9, Jehovah’s Portion
- Ezekiel 16:49, What Was the Sin of Sodom and Gomorrah?
- Isaiah 60:3, The Three Wise Men
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Psalm 119: Kaph: For my weekly quiet time today, I will post Psalm 119: Kaph in the King James Version (which is in...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Reliving the nervous breakdown that was 1973: The bad news is I’ve been spending a lot of time at the dentist. The good news is, with his of...
- The Bible and Culture
The Durham Chronicles– The Visit to York, Part One: It was finally a nice spring day. Finally. And so in the carpe diem category, since tempus fugit and...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
The Federal Government Could Save Some Money: … by not doing this. Maybe some of those states’ rights advocates could apply some state...
How Literary Imitation Works: Are Differences More Important than Similarities?: Recently I disappointed the pastor of the Diamond Valley Community Church when I declined to respond...