Book review: John
by R. Alan Culpepper
Three hundred seventy six small-print pages about the life and legends of St. John the Apostle. Culpepper is one of the foremost authorities on Johannine writings, and I’m a Culpepper fan, but this was overkill.
My current project is a story about the making of John’s Gospel, and naturally, John the Apostle is a primary character. For this, Culpepper’s book proved to be an exhausting resource. Oops, I meant exhaustive. Must have been a Freudian slip.
I had to give the book a strong rating for its research; there is simply nothing like it out there. You’ll learn stories about John in the Bible, a discussion of his possible identity as the Beloved Disciple of the Fourth Gospel, the evidence of Johannine thinking in the epistles of John, how the Gospel of John gained acceptance in the church (walking first through Gnostic strands of Christianity), various other extra-canonical Christian writings portraying John as a hero, legends about John written by more than twenty church fathers, how he became an icon in art and literature, all leading to current-day opinions by Bible scholars. Whew.
Buy it as a reference book.
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: The Illusion of “Truth”: The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
- Book review: The IVP Bible Background Commentary
- Book review: Naming the Antichrist: The History of an American Obsession
- Book Review: The Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son
- Book review: The Little Book of Atheist Spirituality
- Book review: Augustine for Armchair Theologians
- Book review: Thought in the Absence of Certainty
- Book review: Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World’s Greatest Physicists
- Book review: He Who Has an Ear
- Book review: Powers of Darkness
- Book review: The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
- Book review: 25 of the Greatest Sermons Ever Preached
- Book review: Handbook of Blblical Criticism
- Book review: Unfettered Spirit: Spiritual Gifts for the New Great Awakening
- Book review: The Brother of Jesus
- Book review: Seismic Shift: From God to Goodness
- Book review: Is Reality Secular
- Book review: The Gospel According to Femigod
- Book review: All You Want To Know About Hell
- Book review: Coffee with Jesus
- Book review: The Making of the Lamb
- Book review: Philosophy for Believers
- Book review: The Certainty of the Unexpected
- Book review: The Question of Canon
- Book review: The Dave Test
- Book review: Worshiping with Charles Darwin
- Book review: Christian History Made Easy
- Book review: Creation Strikes Back
- Book review: Messiah: Origin
- Book review: John’s Gospel: The Way It Happened
- Numbers 6:2, Was Jesus a Nazirite?
- 1 John 4:2, Knowing Whether Instruction is from God
- Luke 14:23, Converting the Donatists
- Psalm 23:4, Thy Rod and Staff
- Romans 8:38-39 Neither Height Nor Depth Shall Separate Us!
- Revelation 3:16, The Lukewarm Church
- Genesis 49:22, Joseph, the Wild Donkey
- Mark 3:27, Binding the Strong Man
- Psalm 96:5, Idols or Demons?
- Revelation 12:1,4 Zodiac and the Bible
- Acts 28:11, Castor and Pollux
- Genesis 4:20, Cain Learns His Lesson
- Acts 8:9, Magic in the Bible
- Amos 9:11-12, Why We Needn’t Circumcise, part II of II
- Acts 15:16-17, Why We Needn’t Circumcise, part I of II
- Proverbs 15:17, A Valentines Day Observation
- Genesis 24:64, The Camel That Wasn’t
- 1 Corinthians 16:22, Anathema Maranatha — Come, Lord!
- Matthew 27:59-60, Boy, Was Jesus Lucky!
- Daniel 12:2, Everlasting Contempt
- Galatians 1:4, What Are We Saved From?
- Genesis 2:21-22, Adam, Eve, and Panentheism
- Matthew 1:18, More on the Perpetual Virginity of Mary
- Luke 2:21-22, Was Jesus Miraculously Born?
- Revelation 20:14, The End of Death and Hades
- Romans 5:18, Adam and Christ
- 1 Timothy 6:16, The Immortal Soul
- John 5:19, The Nature of God
- Romans 9:13, Is God Love?
- 1 Corinthians 3:8, Works vs Faith, according to Paul
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Psalm 150: Well, this is my last post about the Book of Psalms for my weekly quiet time! My first post o...
- Maphead's Book Blog
The Expats: A Novel by Chris Pavone: Doing the European Reading Challenge has been a lot of fun. What’s nice about the “one c...
- The Bible and Culture
Wright’s Paul and the Faithfulness of God– Part Nineteen: More on track is the discussion of the praxis of the Lord’s Supper, and to a lesser degree Bap...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
The 5-Minute-a-Day Bible Reading Plan vs. My Dad’s Bible: Some time ago I was invited to answer questions from a group of wonderful young people. They were in...
Who’s Who Among Mythicists and Mythicist Sympathizers/Agnostics: This is a followup to my previous post, Casey’s Mythicist Myth Busted, where I set out Casey...