Book review: Refracted
by Sheila Deeth
What a fun read! I smiled the whole time … about an hour. Yeah, pretty short, but memories of the story will linger much longer. If you find yourself describing the book to someone, adjectives will spill forth like the colors of the rainbow. My suspicion, however, is that each reader’s experience will be different … your adjectives will not match mine.
Delightful. Colorful. Fanciful. Meaningful. It’s a very “full” 53 pages. Half the book is a dreamlike romp through familiar Biblical territory, and at its midpoint I felt momentary disillusionment to uncover the machinery that made the magic within the book “real,” but I was just as quickly swallowed up again into its emerging sci-fi plot line.
I dare say no more, because the beauty of the book is in its unfolding wonder, and further hints will dampen your reading experience. Yes, it’s religious, on several levels really, but the setting (which eventually tends more toward New Age than Judeo-Christian) adds flavor … and leaves you thinking about the role of religion in our lives.
(available in electronic form only)
The Way It Happened
|Revelation: A love story gone awry.||The Gospel: A love story set aright.|
What really happened 2,000 years ago? How did a persecuted minority of end-time believers known as Christians, with their dreams of Armageddon and a conquering Messiah named Jesus, evolve into the largest religion in the world? Author Lee Harmon explores the period in which the New Testament was written in his books about John's Gospel and Revelation.
(Bloggers: you may be eligible for a free review copy! Just contact us.)
The God Show
- Book review: The Bible Tells Me So
- Book review: We Make the Road by Walking
- Book review: Lincoln’s Bishop
- Book review: Becoming the Son
- Book review: The Beautiful Scientist
- Book review: Healing Marks
- Book review: Make Christmas Real
- Book review: Convictions: How I Learned What Matters Most
- Book review: Jewish Christianity Reconsidered
- Book review: Disciples: How Jewish Christianity Shaped Jesus and Shattered the Church
- Book review: Blueprint for Theocracy: The Christian Right’s Vision for America
- Book review: Excommunicating the Faithful: Jewish Christianity in the Early Church
- Book review: STABLE: The Keys to Heaven on Earth
- Book review: Judas of Nazareth
- Book review: Things That Must Take Place: A Commentary on Revelation Chapters 4-22
- Book review: Heretics for Armchair Theologians
- The Miracle Free Gospel
- Book review: Announcing the Scientific Discovery of God
- Book review: Walking in the Moment between Tick and Tock–From Passover to Pentecost
- Book review: The Gospel of Jesus of Nazareth
- Book review: The Big Picture: An Honest Examination of God, Science, and Purpose
- Book review: The Adam Quest
- Book review: Process Theology: Embracing Adventure with God
- Book review: How Do We Know? An Introduction to Epistemology
- Book review: Holistic Spirituality: Life Transforming Wisdom from the Letter of James
- Book review: Morality is the Problem
- Book review: The Illusion of “Truth”: The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
- Book review: The IVP Bible Background Commentary
- Book review: Naming the Antichrist: The History of an American Obsession
- Book Review: The Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son
- Hosea 6:6, Jesus and Animal Sacrifice
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VIII of VIII
- Mark 9:42, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VII of VIII
- Matthew 8:5-7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part VI of VIII
- 1 Corinthians 7:25, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part V of VIII
- Romans 2:1, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part IV of VIII
- Romans 1:25-27,Homosexuality and the Bible, Part III of VIII
- Jude 1:7, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part II of VIII
- Leviticus 20:13, Homosexuality and the Bible, Part I of VIII
- Matthew 4:15, Where was the book of Matthew written?
- Romans 1:18, The “Intelligent Design” Verse
- Matthew 10:30, Jesus Came To Bring Division?
- Acts 10:36, The Peace of Jesus Christ
- Acts 15:29, Eating Meat Sacrificed to Idols
- Revelation 20:4, The Difference Between Pre- and Postmillennialism
- Mark 7:18-19, Are All Foods Clean?
- Mark 10:19, The Eleventh Commandment
- Acts 12:21-23, How Did Herod Agrippa Die
- Romans 9:1, Paul the Liar?
- Luke 21: The Christian Escape to Pella
- James 2:5-6, James and the Poor
- Book Excerpt: Revelation: The Way It Happened
- 1 Corinthians 6:4, Paul and the Shema part II of II
- 1 Corinthians 8:6, Paul and the Shema, part I of II
- Leviticus 26:29, Driven to Cannibalism
- Revelation 12:5-6, Israel as a Woman in Labor, Part II of II
- Revelation 12:1-2, Israel as a Woman in Labor, Part I of II
- James 2:14, The Ebionite Church and the Judaizers, Part II of II
- Galatians 2:14, The Ebionite Church and the Judaizers, Part I of II
- 1 Corinthians 1:10, Division in the Church
Archives By Month
Archives By Category
My Favorite Feeds
- James' Thoughts and Musings
Book Write-Up: The King Is Coming: Erwin W. Lutzer. The King Is Coming: Preparing to Meet Jesus. Chicago: Moody Publishers,...
- Maphead's Book Blog
Marshlands: A Novel by Matthew Olshan: Upon entering the Central Branch of my public library, one of the first things a visitor sees is a r...
- The Bible and Culture
The Pilgrimage: Israel Part Nineteen: What would a trip to the Dead Sea be without a dip in the Dead Sea, perhaps with the help of a coat...
- The Religious Left
Our Saturday Moment: By Garrett FitzGerald Originally posted on Holy Saturday, 2012A few years ago, I was privileged to...
- Threads From Henry's Web
Next Week’s Bible Study: Our first try didn’t go that well. I spent a couple of hours talking to folks about technical...
The Evolution of the Son of Man, the Human & Divine Messiah: This post outlines the way Jewish ideas about God appear to have developed until they found a new fo...